Friday, November 21, 2008

Update on the Universal Health Card Scam

Note: I've also added this to my original post on the UHC scam.

Today I called the two Walgreens, as well as the Target and HealthPartners, that were listed. None of the people I spoke to had ever heard of the UHC or BioScrip but they all said that didn't mean they wouldn't accept it because they take a lot of "pharmacy benefit cards." Walgreens, for instance, has its own card that costs $20 per year and covers 500 drugs.

The very helpful woman I spoke to at Target at first assumed it was a free discount card, and when I told her it cost $50 a month, she paused, and then said I should call the UHC company and give them a list of my specific medications "and if they can't tell you what it would save you, I wouldn't touch it."

So I just called one of UHC's 800 numbers to ask just that. I was told they couldn't tell me what savings I would have on any specific medication without knowing what specific pharmacy was involved, and that I should ask the pharmacy. Of course, I said the pharmacy had said to ask UHC. And this is when the customer service rep said, "That's why we have the free 30-day trial, so you can take the card in and see how much it saves you."

Except, of course, it's not free. It costs $18 to get the free card.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I too was fairly outraged this morning when I opened the paper and saw the full page ad. I downloaded a list of providers in my area and started calling. None of them had ever heard of the card.