Thursday, October 30, 2008

Flat Art

All I could see was their foreheads peeking over the fold on Sunday's Star Tribune opinion section, and I exclaimed, "It's another Jim Freitag illustration!"

Sure enough, I was right.

Airbrush illustrations of John McCain and Barack Obama
I always thought the idea of editorial illustration was to add some insight into the character of the subject.

Airbrush illustrations of Norm Coleman, Dean Barkley and Al Franken
In the case of these airbrush paintings, however, they're more lifeless than the photos they're so clearly based on.

Or maybe Jim is making a point that's too subtle for me -- a scathing comment about the banality of power, perhaps. Hmmm.

1 comment:

elena said...

That is a very idealized portrait of John McCain, I'd say! Doesn't look like him much at all.