Friday, July 18, 2008

Buffalo Miscellany

I'm spending a few days in Buffalo, N.Y., and finally got a chance today to get out and see some of the city. More to come in the next few days, but here are some street scenes.

Metal circle with letter A in it, within another circle, part of a parking meter
At the time, I wasn't sure if this was meant to refer to the anarchy symbol intentionally or not. I do think it's intended as a bike rack, though. Oh, wait, I figured it out -- it's A for Allentown. (Shot in the Allentown neighborhood)

Painted sign of a kid, labeled Pavlov's Togs
I love a clever business name. (Elmwood Village neighborhood)

Heads and arms of mannequins in a store window, with reflected man in the glass
Perhaps a bit of Lee Friedlander influence on this shot, hmmm? (Allentown neighborhood)

Publication ad, reading BEAST Buffalo's New Best Fiend
Not sure what this is for exactly, but I'm always looking for a new best fiend. (Elmwood Village neighborhood)

Closed circuit television on premises warning sign on a fence
Thanks for the warning! (Downtown Buffalo)

The twin pines symbol in black iron
I saw this at the back driveway of a large brick house that appeared to be apartments... I wonder if the building is actually a co-op, as the symbol would seem to suggest, or if it was somehow just a decorative choice?

2 comments:

NCHC said...

Its my house! The nickel city housing co-op! Potlucks on wednesdays @ 7!

Daughter Number Three said...

Cool to know -- thanks!