Friday, May 9, 2008

Solar Ad

I was looking through the special environmental issue of USA Today magazine that came in the Star Tribune recently, and saw this relatively incomprehensible ad:


I remember wondering if I was supposed to hold it up to a mirror or what. But then I turned the page, and saw this:


Of course, this is one of those things that you have to see in person, but just imagine you are holding this ad as a piece of paper, and you're looking at the colorful side with the logo on it. In ambient room light (or better yet, if you hold it up to a sun-filled window) you see the headline showing through the sky saying, "This is a solar-powered ad to tell you about our solar-powered chip."

And then it goes on to say that the plant in California where they make Sun Chips is "using solar energy" (it doesn't say how much) to make Sun Chips.

Pretty clever, I have to say. I hope they really are doing something meaningful from an energy standpoint. Their website, to which the ad refers the reader, is pretty vague and commercially oriented, rather than detailed.

No comments: