Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Separated at Birth?

Michael Kinsley faces off with Alfred Kinsey
So I was reading a story in the April 15 PiPress called "Cheating Spouses," reprinted from U.S. News and World Report, of all places. And I couldn't help noticing this whopper of an error:

In 1994, the National Opinion Research Council at the University of Chicago upended the conventional thought of general licentiousness (generated in large part by sex study pioneer Michael Kinsey) [emphasis added].
I'm sure Alfred Kinsey would be glad to know about the whereabouts of his long-lost twin.

And Michael Kinsley will be shocked to know that not only has his last name developed "lost consonant" syndrome -- he has also changed careers and generations.

I checked the US News web page to see if the error came from them, or was somehow introduced by the PiPress -- and it's on the US News website! I wonder if it ran in the magazine that way?

No comments: