Monday, March 17, 2008

Rhymes with Orange

Rhymes with Orange strip
Oh, the wonderful Hilary Price and her strip, Rhymes with Orange.

This one is a great example of what I love about the strip -- it continually manages to make me laugh by illustrating experiences from everyday life that I've half thought of, but never managed to bring to full conscious thought.

Her site lets you see the daily strips for a month at a time, lagging the current date by a couple of weeks. Seems like a good compromise between access and not undermining the daily papers that carry her. If you like her humor, it's definitely worth it to buy her books, too.

(By the way, what does rhyme with orange? I actually heard an answer once: door hinge.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

QUOTE: (By the way, what does rhyme with orange? I actually heard an answer once: door hinge.)

Hello --

While googling something else on the net, I came across an old post of yours. It’s been said that "orange" is one of the few words in the English language that doesn't have a rhyme, and urban legend (fact?) says that it was lyricist Stephen Sondheim who approximated "doorhinge" (a near rhyme; close, but no cigar as far as purists are concerned). When I mentioned this to a contrarian writer colleague in Los Angeles, he generated the poem included below. I thought this might amuse.

Ben Krywosz
Artistic Director
Nautilus Music-Theater


AND THEY SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE
by Scott Guy

Eating an orange
is more enj-
oyable than four ang-
ioplasties, and makes me adore Ang-
iolieri's comic sonnets, or Ang-
elico's altarpieces, and ignore enj-
ambment run amok.
Next week: a perpetual motion machine.