I finally watched the HBO five-part miniseries Chernobyl over the past two days. I'm not sure why I didn't see it when it came out in 2019. I think it was because I was busy then with people in my family dying and a small business I was trying to launch, plus a few other things since it came out in May, that month when I'm always doing something else.
If you haven't seen it, I recommend it.
I've been trying to bring to mind what I remember from 1986, when the disaster occurred. It was not long before I moved to Minnesota, but after I had decided to come here. I remember hearing about it as it hit the news in the U.S. a few days later, and being freaked out about it, but no details about why it happened or anything.
I moved here just as the Soviets were working to contain the radiation: while people were dying, and they didn't know if it would poison all of Ukraine. I don't know how soon afterward there was very complete knowledge in the West. Was it one of those stories where, by the time the Soviets let the facts out a few years later, U.S. media couldn't be bothered to make a big deal about it? Or was I just too busy with life by that point and I missed it?
I somehow managed to accumulate some general knowledge that people were evacuated from a wide area around the plant, and that the reactor was enclosed in concrete, but not how that happened. Until I watched the series, I had no idea how many people died along the way.
This summer, I've been consuming a media diet of Soviet-life-as-cautionary-tale. First there was Star City, then Ponies, and now Chernobyl. Each show is a different example of how creating a society where people are afraid to tell the truth to the people in power above them causes dangerous problems. Chernobyl particularly emphasizes why it's a bad idea to subordinate science to political power and priorities.
It's hard to watch any of these shows in our current time without seeing them as a warning. Too bad that message appears to be too subtle for the people who should learn from it.
Such a great show! I think about it a lot...
ReplyDeleteThere's a 1.5 hour documentary up on HBO now with archival footage the Soviets shot at the time. Reiterates many of the points made in the series. Says that estimates are up to 200,000 people have died, and fills in how the aftermath helped lead to dissolution of the USSR.
ReplyDelete