Sunday, March 12, 2023

Mistakes Were Made

I have tried hard to give up my long-time role as a grammar (and usage) curmudgeon. I know that my writing is far from perfect, as readers of this blog would surely point out.

However. 

When I read work that has been professionally copy-edited and still contains not just typos but what I've always called "thinkos" — examples that show the copy editor does not know what the usage should be — I can't help but groan.

I saw three such examples in the last day.

First was in a Star Tribune headline:

Discomfort is a noun. Discomfit is the verb this headline-writer was looking for, and the copy editor (assuming there still is one at the Strib) should have known that.*

The other two examples were the same error, occurring twice in the book I'm reading. It's a hard-cover novel published by Simon & Schuster:

That first instance appears on page 1 of the book! (Yes, I do correct errors in books I own.)

This peek/peak mistake is pretty unforgivable as a copy-editing error: I'm surprised that a spell-checker or grammar-checker didn't catch it. (Worst-case scenario: was it caught and the copy editor overruled the correction? Hah.)

___

*Oh, gee, here I was writing this and I thought to look up whether discomfort is sometimes used as a verb and I found that it is, according to Merriam Webster online. That led me to Garner's Modern American Usage, Third Edition, which lists it as Stage 4: a form that has become virtually universal but is opposed on cogent grounds by a few linguistic stalwarts. Sigh.

Thinking a bit more about the discomfort/discomfit choice, if it was a choice on the part of the Strib staff, I wonder if they're afraid their readers would be unfamiliar with the word discomfit and think that usage was a mistake. Sigh again.

 

1 comment:

  1. “Peak” for “peek” is unbelievable.

    In GMEU 5th edition, “discomfort” for “discomfit” is Stage 2. But the meaning “to disconcert; to put into a state of unease and embarrassment” is standard. The paper could’ve said “disrupting” or “challenging” and done better.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated, so don't be surprised when yours doesn't appear immediately. Please only submit once.