Yesterday I saw this ad (apologies for the blurry photo), and while its subject does look directly at the viewer, her pose is quite another thing:

This is a dentist. A professional woman. What is she doing posing like a person watching TV, or (less charitably) an old-fashioned pin-up girl?
Okay, maybe this photo doesn't strike other viewers as sexist. But tell me: can you imagine a male dentist posing like this for an ad promoting his practice?
“Can you imagine a male dentist posing like this for an ad promoting his practice?”
ReplyDeleteNo. It’s especially odd that this dentist isn’t dressed like a dentist. But to sit like so in a dental smock might be even stranger. I was going to say that I’d like to think that however old this ad is, I would’ve thought it odd even back then. But then I saw the URL and realized it’s a current ad, which makes it even more bizarre.
My dentist, by the way, is a man, close to ninety, with no time for poses. :)
I try to picture my male dentist posed this way - whether in his street clothes or his scrubs - and I just laugh.
ReplyDelete