Sunday, July 28, 2013

Boilerplate for My Day Job

I don't write often about the ins and outs of the design world (my day job), but this recent item from Twitter seemed like it deserved its own post. Written by Andrew Clarke, a U.K. designer and web developer:

Hey James,

Thanks for writing and for thinking about us. We'd love to help you with your branding and website design but I'm afraid your £1,500 budget is an issue.

If a web designer charges £60 per hour -- not an unreasonable rate and certainly not excessive in comparison to other professionals, such as lawyers or even plumbers -- that's £480.00 per day for an eight-hour day. Divide your budget by that and you get just over three days.

I don't think you'll find even the most efficient designer who can produce new branding and design and develop a website in three days.

To answer your questions:

1. Are you able to give an estimate of what a website with this content may cost?

Yes.

2. Will it be possible to get some of your ideas on look and feel, colors, etc.?

I'm sorry but no designer should work on spec, before being properly commissioned to take on the work.

3. Can you supply the professional graphics and will I own this once the site is developed?

Yes. And when all bills are paid, you'll own all the work.

4. Can you help with Logo design once I finalize the company name?

Definitely. We'd love, love, love to help you.

Love,

Andrew Clarke
Designer, author and podcaster of Unfinished Business

No comments: