Friday, January 29, 2021

Remembering the Wish Book

Who needs an escapist post after a long week? I do!

A while ago, my other half picked up this catalog at an antique store:

It's the 1965 Sears Wish Book, their Christmas catalog.

If you're an American baby boomer of the right age, this may look familiar. I'm just a little too young to fully remember this cover, but when I searched Sears Wish Book 1966, oh, now, that cover image thrummed in my heart:

The insides of these catalogs are full of familiar toys and objects of my childhood desire. Many of the pages are in black and white, which I find charming. I don't think that lasted many more years, and it looks like the number of color pages even between 1965 and 1966 increased substantially.

Memory is a strange thing. I remember the catalogs from later years less than this one, even though I was older. It must have made a particularly deep impression, given the age I was.


No comments: