Wednesday, October 17, 2018

A New Cover for Dune

I share a common beloved book with many science fiction readers of my generation: Dune by Frank Herbert. I remember that I borrowed it from my high school library in 11th grade. It was a big fat paperback and I put off starting it, though I must have heard somewhere that it was worth reading, because the back cover blurb said something about giant worms.

As the day drew near when my two or three weeks with it was up, I debated whether to renew it. While sitting in play practice one day, I started reading it and so I decided to give a few more weeks. Good choice, 16-year-old me!

The book (like much science fiction writing that has come since then) is kind of a hard start: Herbert immediately immerses you in a universe without any back story, and I probably spent the first half of it trying to figure out what the heck was going on.

But then I caught on and loved it to the point where I wrote an unassigned term paper about it my senior year.

Anyway... yesterday I saw this new cover for the book while I was perusing Uncle Hugo's selections:


Beautiful and evocative. A+ to the cover designer.

No comments: